Saturday, May 17, 2008

The Golden Compass Movie Review

Rated: PG-13
Run Time: 113 Minutes


After overhearing a shocking secret, precocious orphan Lyra Belacqua (Dakota Blue Richards) trades her carefree existence roaming the halls of Jordan College for an otherworldly adventure in the far North, unaware that it's part of her destiny. Nicole Kidman, Daniel Craig and Sam Elliott co-star in this fantasy-laden family adventure based on the first book of the Philip Pullman trilogy His Dark Materials.

The hubby and I originally went to go see The Golden Compass back in December on the big screen but the group of friends we went with were hesitant because of the reviews the movie received. I know there was much controversy regarding the author who wrote the book due to the authors religious beliefs. The reviews stated that some of Phillip Pullman's religious beliefs had spilled into the movie. After renting and watching the movie this week I feel that these reviews were way off track. I loved the movie and thought it was a wonderful fantasy film for the entire family to watch. I didn't notice any type of silent religious messages. It had a fantastic plot as well as some great acting. My favorite character was the polar bear though at first he was some what scary but by the end of the movie he was just a big teddy bear. In my book this is a 4 1/2 star movie out of a 5 star rating.

1 comment:

  1. I bought Brett the book for christmas. I was hopeing we would have it read by the time the movie came out on DVD. It's in my Q but we have not received it. I'm glad to hear that it was good.

    ReplyDelete

I lovvvvvve comments. So feel free to comment as often as you like. As always I will return the favor.