Friday, August 22, 2008

Feed A Horse Today


I'm a member of The American Society For The Prevention of Cruelty to Animals . Once a month I receive their monthly newsletter. I love to hear about all the animals that have been saved from abuse and have found good loving homes. If it were up to me, I would bring every stray animal I came across back home. I have to thank my hubby for keeping me grounded. Though sometimes he's the culprit in finding strays. At one point I had three dogs, so you can see what a sucker I am for animals. That was a handful for me financially but I loved them just the same. Anyway, back to my monthly newsletter from the ASPCA. There is a crisis at hand that needs all the attention of all animal lovers. Our economy is in such a financial pinch this very moment. Everyone seems to be struggling in some way or another, but we all seem to forget about our pets. They are suffering too. The price of hay has sky rocketed in this country which leaves horse owners to pay higher prices to feed their animals. Hay cost have risen from $160 per ton in 2006 to $235 per ton last week. Pet owners who can't afford to feed their precious horses are being forced to surrender them to horse sanctuaries. What a heart wrenching decision to have to make. It's like giving up a peace of your heart and a part of your family. In turn the horse sanctuaries are running into the same type of financial problem and are being forced to cut back on their services. Faced with these rising costs and ongoing drought conditions many horses are left to starve on arid land. This just shouldn't be happening. Every living creature deserves the right to live with out suffering.

In order to address this crisis, the ASPCA has created an Emergency Hay Fund; this Fund will provide much needed financial assistance to horse sanctuaries to help reduce the burden of escalating hay costs. Every dollar we receive will be used exclusively to provide Emergency Hay Relief grants to struggling horse sanctuaries and rescue organizations. Please, help us make a difference in the lives of horses by supporting this important Fund; every dollar will truly make a difference!

1 comment:

  1. I will surf over now, and check it out! Poor dears :(

    I have given you a bloggy award. Do stop by when you have a moment :)

    ReplyDelete

I lovvvvvve comments. So feel free to comment as often as you like. As always I will return the favor.